Careless Sabres Fall 3-1

Sabres Lose First Game of Final Road Trip

Buffalo headed to Boston Thursday night to take on the Bruins, who have won three out of the five meetings coming in. Each team gained six points in those five games.

The Sabres were coming off of a 5-2 in which they clinched the Northeast Division. The Bruins came into Thursday with a one point lead over the Rangers for eighth place.

The Sabres have had a rough time against Bruins rookie Tuukka Rask, who leads the league with a 1.99 GAA and has gone 3-1-0 with a 1.52 GAA against Buffalo.

His success continued Thursday as he only allowed one goal on 30 shots. Derek Roy started the scoring with a breakaway goal to put the Sabres up 1-0. Nathan Gerbe and Drew Stafford assisted on the play to give Buffalo the lead 11 minutes into the game.

In the second period, former Sabre Miroslav Satan tied the game at one as he found a way to beat Patrick Lalime for the Bruins first goal. Two minutes into the third period, Boston took the lead. Dennis Wideman earned his sixth goal of the season, putting his team up 2-1.

The Sabres didn’t put on any pressure in the third and it seemed like they didn’t want the game at all. With under four minutes to go, the Bruins took a two goal lead. Zdeno Chara, who played with a broken nose, scored Boston’s third goal of the night.

With the win, the Bruins moved into seventh place with two games remaining. Only two games remain for the Sabres, both of which are on the road in this weekend.

Kevin Freiheit
Kevin Freiheit
I founded Buffalo Hockey Central in 2008 and have poured hours and hours into this site. Luckily, we have a great team of writers and designers who have helped keep this up and running despite a ton of out-of-pocket costs. We do this because we enjoy it, and we're desperate to see the Sabres win the Cup someday, but they have to make the playoffs first.
[td_block_social_counter facebook="BuffaloHockeyCentral" twitter="BHCdotcom" custom_title="Follow BHC:" header_color="#002654" open_in_new_window="y"]