Sabres lose to Jets in final game of 2013


The Buffalo Sabres entered tonight’s game in Winnipeg, looking to close out 2013 in style.

Unfortunately, the Winnipeg Jets had other plans.

In the first period of the game, Winnipeg was pressing Buffalo hard in both zones. Not only was this putting a lot of pressure on Buffalo to be perfect, but it was allowing better chances for the Jets.

While Buffalo out shot Winnipeg, 10-8, in the first, the Jets ended up being on top after twenty.

Following a pinch in the Sabres defensive zone, the Jets were able to obtain possession of the puck. Andrew Ladd would quickly pass the puck across ice, to Keaton Ellerby. As Ellerby shot the puck, Zemgus Girgensons would attempt to block the shot. Girgensons’ attempt caused the puck to somewhat knuckle, which made it difficult for Jhonas Enroth to make the save.

This goal was the first of the game for Winnipeg, and Ellerby’s 2nd of the season.

There were also a bevy of penalties through the first twenty minutes, as both Buffalo and Winnipeg combined for 12 penalty minutes.

Heading into the second, not many things would get better for Buffalo.

For the second straight period, Buffalo would outshoot Winnipeg, 12-10, the scoreboard would not reflect positively.

At 13:06 of the second period, Jacob Trouba would show the Sabres why he is one of the Jets’ top prospects.

Trouba would trail into the offensive zone, as Chris Thorburn possessed the puck. Thorburn would quickly pass back to a wide open Trouba, who unleashed an absolute bomb of a slapshot.

It would be Winnipeg’s 2nd goal of the game, and Trouba’s 3rd of the season.

Buffalo would head into the third period, trailing 2-0, with the future looking bleak.

Throughout the final period, Buffalo would attempt to gain offensive possession and apply pressure but Winnipeg’s forecheck appeared to be too much.

Buffalo would be out shot in the final frame, 8-5.

Offense was also very sparse, until at 18:32, Anthony Peluso put home an empty net goal. It would be Winnipeg’s third goal of the game, and Peluso’s second of the season.

The Buffalo Sabres would go on to lose this game, 3-0. Buffalo still remains winless in Winnipeg since February 10, 1993, and winless in their four trips since the Jets moved back to Winnipeg.

Buffalo will be in action again, this Thursday night against the Minnesota Wild. Puck drops at 8 PM, and the game will be broadcast on MSG.

Ryan Wolfe
Ryan Wolfe
Administrator/Writer at Sabres Hockey Central.
[td_block_social_counter facebook="BuffaloHockeyCentral" twitter="BHCdotcom" custom_title="Follow BHC:" header_color="#002654" open_in_new_window="y"]