Sabres edge out Capitals in tight battle

buf wsh 11 22 14

Buffalo took the ice against the Washington Capitals, following the devastating snow storm in the Buffalo area, for the first time in four days. A Torrey Mitchell goal would ensure that Buffalo would leave the Verizon Center with a victory.

Things would start off fast and furious for both the Capitals and Sabres.

Chances were aplenty in the first period, but nothing came of it.

The first strike would come on the stick of Matt Moulson. His 3rd goal of the season, at 10:15 of the second period, would give Buffalo a 1-0 lead. Assists were credited to Tyler Ennis and Zemgus Girgensons.

This would be Moulson’s third goal in the last 7 games.

Buffalo would comfortably hold the lead until Mike Weber took a hooking penalty.

Less than a minute into their first power play of the game, the Capitals tallied their first goal on a point shot from Matt Niskanen. 

Niskanen’s first of the season, at 5:54 of the third, tied things up at 1. 

Things would not stay tied for too long though.

Minutes after returning from taking a puck off of his foot, Torrey Mitchell let everyone know he was back and doing just fine.

A shot from Brian Gionta was saved by Holtby, who couldn’t contain the puck. Mitchell skated through two Capitals and got the puck. Mitchell was able to put it home, for his 3rd of the season.

Mitchell’s goal put Buffalo up 2-1 at 12:18 in the third.

While the pace picked up for Washington, the Sabres were able to hold their ground.

When all was said and done at the Verizon Center, Buffalo was able to scratch out a 2-1 victory.

The Sabres are off until next Wednesday, when they host the Winnipeg Jets at the First Niagara Center. Puck drops shortly after 7 PM, and the game will be broadcast on MSG. 

Ryan Wolfe
Ryan Wolfe
Administrator/Writer at Sabres Hockey Central.
[td_block_social_counter facebook="BuffaloHockeyCentral" twitter="BHCdotcom" custom_title="Follow BHC:" header_color="#002654" open_in_new_window="y"]