Thanksgiving is the perfect time to pause from our hectic schedules, take a moment, and be thankful for all the wonderful things we have in our lives.
It’s more than just seeing Uncle Lester or Aunt Martha Louise sitting across from us at the Thanksgiving table. It goes beyond hearing the same stories re-told every year that get embellished and take on a life of their own. And it’s thicker than the cranberry sauce that will inevitably stain the white tablecloth that adorns the bridge table that’s been added to the end of the dining table.
Here at Sabres Hockey Central, here are 10 things we are thankful for:
- Playoffs are within reach. Despite the injuries and lack of scoring, the Sabres are only four points back of the final wild-card slot.
- Rasmus Ristolainen. Risto is locked up long term with a cap-friendly contract. His six-year deal has an average salary of $5.4 million.
- Jack Eichel. The marquee forward was back skating with the team on Wednesday, making another step in his progression to returning to the lineup.
- Rich Stinziano, the Sabres trainer. Stinziano, hired before the season, has been one of the busiest guys in the organization. In his first few months, he’s has a laundry list of patients: Jack Eichel’s ankle sprain, Evander Kane’s cracked ribs, Zach Bogosian’s knee injury, Tyler Ennis’ groin ailment, and Ryan O’Reilly’s oblique injury.
- The fill-ins. Cole Schneider, Cal O’Reilly, Justin Falk, Taylor Fedun, Nicholas Baptiste, William Carrier and Evan Rodrigues have been called on to patch holes in the lineup. At various stages of their careers, they’re bringing speed, creativity and energy every game.
- Robin Lehner and Anders Nilsson. The Sabres goaltending duo is seventh overall with a 2.35 GAA. In fifteen starts, Robin Lehner has a 2.38 GAA and a .922 save percentage. In five starts, Anders Nilsson has a 1.74 GAA and a .951 save percentage.
- Matty Mo. Matt Moulson has found his game again. The winger only tallied eight goals last year, but has already lit the lamp seven times and added two assists through 20 games. He has a new found confidence and is getting scoring changes regularly.
- Fellow Sabres fans. Though faced with our team’s constant adversity, we’ve started a promising new chapter. Sabres Hockey Central continues to grow, with both your participation and in the number of followers. Without you, our fellow fans and readers, we wouldn’t be where we are today. And for that, we can’t thank you enough for supporting us as a source for Sabres news, commentary and analysis.
- Kyle Okposo. The big fish in free agency, Okposo is bringing his toughness and creativity to the lineup. Twelve points (6 goals, 6 assists) through 19 games.
- Turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. Enough of this list. We’re hungry! We wish you and your families a happy Thanksgiving!