Sabres blown out by Avalanche in Denver


Two goal games from Gabriel Landeskog and Jamie McGinn powered the Avalanche past the Sabres 7 to 1 on Saturday afternoon.

The teams opened up the game exchanging chances at both ends of the ice, however this would quickly change in the Avalanche’s favor.

Colorado took the 1-0 advantage just over 7 minutes into the game as they took dvantage of a turnover deep in the Sabres zone.  Tyson Barrie batted in a rebound from a Nathan MacKinnon shot.

Within minutes the Avalanche would find themselves on a four minute power play off of a Mike Weber high sticking call. They would take a 2-0 lead with only 14 seconds remaining in the penalty. Erik Johnson ripped in a shot from the point with Jamie McGinn camping in front for the tip in goal.

Colorado struck a third time just minutes later with Gabriel Landeskog burying the puck off of the pass from Nathan MacKinnon. Thankfully for the Sabres this would do it for the first period. Colorado would end the period ahead 11-8 in shots.

The Avalanche would take a 4-0 lead midway through the second period. The Sabres were essentially shorthanded with John Scott playing without a stick. Colorado was able to get a point shot through with Scott being unable to effectively cover his man. The puck banked off of the end boards and found the stick of Bordeleau who played the puck over a sprawling Miller for an easy tap in by Marc-Andre Cliche.

Buffalo finally broke the shutout on the power player. Tyler Ennis ripped a puck from the blocker-side faceoff circle. The puck rebounded off of Varlamov and landed right on Matt D’Agostini’s stick in the blue paint where he made no mistake in burying it.

Colorado extended the lead back to 4 on the power play. MacKinnon received a drop pass high in the slot where he made no mistake in finding the corner and firing it past Miller.

The second period would end with Colorado leading 5-1 on the scoreboard as well as 27-15 in the shot department.

Jhonas Enroth would get the nod in net at the start of the third period.

Moments into the third Konopka would drop the gloves for a spirited fight with MacLeod. Both players got in a couple of good shots before the linesmen stepped in to stop the fight.

Midway through the third period Landeskog would extend the lead to 5 as he goes five hole off of a Tyler Myers turnover deep in the Buffalo zone.

Jamie McGinn, who opened the scoring in the first period would close the scoring midway through the third period with his second of the night. McGinn found himself the beneficiary of a wonderful pass by Ryan O’Reilly into the slot. McGinn made no mistake in putting the puck in the net, burying it past Enroth who found himself out of position.

What could be dubbed as The Longest Game of the Year for the Sabres and fans alike would end 7-1.

The Buffalo Sabres are back in action on Monday night as they host the Edmonton Oilers for a 7:00 pm puck drop at First Niagara Center.

Follow BHC: